10 reasons to spend Christmas holidays in Nafplio
I love this time in the city, when you defy the cold with an extra scarf, you also put on Santa's red cap and a big smile and you allow the Christmas lights illuminate your face and heart!
The first capital of Greece is getting decorated, wears its festive mood and spreads magic, light and love to those who visit it. Not only are the adorned roads, the Christmas trees and the divine melodies that make Nafplio so seductive, but also the Christmas celebrations lasting almost a month, from the beginning of December until the end of "Ai Gianniou" (St. John's), with the blessing of the waters in the Port, which make you experience the holy days to the fullest extent.
The festive Nafplio in Christmas is an solid reason itself to spend your holidays here with your other half or your family, but let me give you 10 more reasons to come here:
1. Nafplio is a nearby destination, that you approach in only a few hours drive and you do not waste your precious time on the road.
2. You can easily find dreamy accommodation, from restored and luxurious hotels to picturesque hospitable guesthouses in the historic center of the town, or a few kilometers away.
3. Children really enjoy playing in the Santa Claus Park with their Christmas fairy-tale little houses, the events, the games, the narrated fairy tales by actors, he stilt walkers -pure magic...
4. You enjoy the local delicacies, you eat hot, delicious donuts and fluffy panettone cake, you receive the treats of the locals, who years now bake the "melomakarona", the "kourabie" sweets and "diples" (sweet pastry folds) with the same recipe, also the traditional "bread of Christ".
5. Your heart rejoices by listening to the carols from the Philharmonic orchestra with the wind musical instruments, the songs from school bands and choruses, the Christmas concerts by the local Conservatory, the Byzantine hymns.
6. You enjoy a walk and sit for a coffee with your friends in the adorned "Syntagma Square" and take your picture near the grand Christmas tree.
7. You attend the Mass on Christmas Day and on the New Year's eve in the city's churches and live the experience of Te Deum ceremony in the Cathedral of St. George and the of the Virgin Mary, with the amazing choir.
8. You buy gifts for the celebrants, for your family and friends, from the unique, stylish shops of Nafplio -like clothes, accessories and handmade decorative or useful items for your home, but also local delicacies and wines.
9. If you have children, you are happy to watch them participating in the workshops with constructions, get amazed listening to fairy tales and watching theatrical performances, taking part in interactive events, as well as in local customs.
10. You know that you will spend an unforgettable time at the Christmas parties, that throw many hotels, restaurants and bars in the city. And the new year will find you happier than ever!