Trianon - The Old Mosque
One of the oldest surviving buildings from the period of the first Ottoman domination is the Old Mosque ("Tzami"), which adorns the center of the city of Nafplio. The beautiful building, that is located in Syntagma Square, nowadays it is known as "Trianon" and was during the Ottoman years a religious place. The mosque was simple, with no special features or decorations with large minarets. It was located in the Grand Vizier district or the Sultan Ahmet district, in the center of the city market.
Trianon through the centuries
Trianon is probably one of the original Ottoman mosques built during the early Ottoman period. In 1687, during the Second Venetian occupation, as most mosques, it was converted into a Christian temple dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padova. It was a donation by the Venetian general Francis Morosini.
During the second Ottoman period it was again used as a mosque. In 1833 the first Men's Mutual School was housed. In 1915 it was converted into a conservatory and theater, and then into a municipal cinema under the name "Trianon". Today it is used as a small theater with the same name.
It is a building with a simple rectangular plan, whose dome is octagonal. The entrance has a colonnaded portico that is housed by three domes. On its west side, there was a small courtyard, which is not preserved today. Due to the building's different uses, it has undergone many changes from its original form.
Did you know that?
The old mosque is perhaps the oldest example of Ottoman architecture, in the town of Nafplio.
Today many theatrical performances, art exhibitions and schools events are organized at Trianon.